How to Beat the Summer Heat!
1. Check your air conditioning. Most central units have a life span of 15-20 years. How old is your A/C? Is it time for a new one? Also, make sure to check the unit pipes to see if they are clogged. Sometimes, blockages can inhibit how effective your A/C unit functions.
2. Draw your blinds closed! By shutting your blinds, you help divert direct sunlight from entering into your house. Just by drawing your blinds, you can keep a room up to 20⁰ cooler.
3. Head to the pool! If you have a pool in your back yard or at a community club house, then you don't have to travel far from home! If not, phone a friend and have a fun pool hangout with some music and snacks!
4. Hit the beach! Sun, sand and tan are always a good summer plan! There is nothing better than jumping in the ocean on a hot day. Make a beach outing! Call some friends, bring drinks, pack a lunch, and have a great time!
5. Have an indoor movie, crafting or activities day! Kick up that working A/C unit, draw the blinds, have a cold drink, and enjoy a cool house.
6. Go to an ice cream shop! Whether you put it in a cup or cone, get a shake or sundae, nothing helps curb the heat like a cold dessert. The average American consumes around 22 pounds of ice cream per year!
7. Make ice pops at home! By making your own icy treat, you can have a blast by choosing unique and fun flavors! Keep in mind, fully freezing the dessert may take a few hours!
8. The two most important things to do in the heat is to always wear sunscreen and stay extra hydrated. An SPF 15 sunscreen can block 93% of the UVB radiation that you come in contact with. It is recommended to drink approximately 8, 8-ounce glasses of water a day, but the actual amount varies from person to person!
According to Dailyburn.com here are ten ways to stay hydrated!
6. Fat-free or skim milk
8. Sports drinks
9. Coconut water